Have you ever wondered how some people are able to grasp the grim realities of life and catalyze a chain reaction of changes conducive to our personal growth and development even without knowing us personally? If you have then you probably would have heard about motivational speakers. Jim Rohn is one of the pioneers of the field and remains one of the tallest towering figures. He was an acclaimed author, an enigmatic entrepreneur, a motivational speaker, and a personal development mentor. His contribution to personal development stands unparalleled as he not only unraveled intricacies of work ethics to help people in the work sphere but also propounded philosophies about subtler aspects of life like happiness and ambition.
A Celebrated Motivational Speaker
Jim Rohn has been a celebrated motivational speaker with the likes of Tony Robbins, Mark Hughes, Les Brown, Brian Tracy under his able tutelage. He has been instrumental in paving the path for other motivational and public speakers as he was among the first who experimented with the idea of delivering motivational speeches in an interactive setting with large live audiences and holding public seminars. These events cater to the public as well as the specialists thus breaking the conventional barrier of an information vacuum.
A Few Of His Many Contributions
He authored countless self-help books, produced digitized manuscripts in the form of audio and video lectures to help equip an entire generation of corporation executives, businessmen, personal development trainers, and the public at large with the required mental acumen and ethics. His works like “Take Charge of Your Life” and “The Art of Exceptional Living” have not only proven to be a success at the sales side but have been critically acclaimed by academics.
Journey Of The Self-Made Man
Jim Rohn is a story of a self-made man who raked in millions in fortune and went on to inspire millions. He has donned many hats ranging from an entrepreneur to the author and motivational speaker. He was a man of conviction but paid more heed to prudence than conventions as from an early age we see him taking roads that were not taken often, he dropped out of his college after the first year, quitting a stable distributorship job and subsequently pursuing his passion of business adventures.
In 1957, after resigning his distributorship with AbundaVita, he joined Nutri-Bio, another direct selling company. It was a big turning point in his career as the company’s founders, including Shoaff, started to mentor him. After this mentorship, Rohn acquired the required intellectual capital and built one of the largest organizations within the company. He followed every bit of advice he could glean from him and became a paragon of direct marketing distributors. Within just six years, he earned his first fortune but then lost the millions he had made. Pondering over this he made the observation that, “Whether you win or whether you earn a million dollars, best you quickly learn how to be a millionaire, or you will lose it.” Rohn then almost miraculously made that money back in just a few short years saying, “The second time I made a fortune was much easier than the first time because I knew how to.” In 1963, Rohn delivered his first public speech and began traveling across the country, sharing his personal experiences coupled with his business acumen which eventually led to scores of media houses and people, in general, referring to him as a business philosopher.
A Great Humanitarian
Jim devoted a large part of his life-giving back to society through his teaching and lectures about how to gain success in business. For nearly 5 decades, Rohn was one of the most influential business-related motivational speakers and authors across the globe. He has notably been the mentoring force behind Tony Robbins and received the 1985 National Speakers Association CPAE Award for excellence in speaking.
Fast forward to many years into the next century when it’s been decades to his death, yet we still see his videos popping up in YouTube and raking in millions of views, his speeches streaming across multiple podcast platforms and his presence unblemished at least in the virtual world. This speaks volumes about the relevance of his ideas even in an age where business structures and technologies have undergone manifold changes.
Quotes To Live By
If you’re looking to succeed at the finance front or just become a better version of yourself then there are no better words of wisdom than those coming from a true great, and one of my hero’s, Jim Rohn. These are not simply quotable quotes, but deep thought-provoking wisdom shared in words. Here are 15 of the most profound quotes that have impacted my life significantly.
- “If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.”
- “The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized – never knowing.”
- “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- “You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you are in charge of.”
- “Learn how to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want.”
- “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”
- “Asking is the beginning of receiving. I ask for all kinds of things. Make sure you don’t go to the ocean with a teaspoon. At least take a bucket so the kids won’t laugh at you.”
- “Get around people who have something of value to share with you. Their impact will continue to have a significant effect on your life long after they have departed.”
- “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.”
- “Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know.”
- “Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom.”
- “How sad to see a father with money and no joy. The man studied economics, but never studied happiness.”
- “Days are expensive. When you spend a day, you have one less day to spend. So, make sure you spend each one wisely.”
- “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.”
- “Failure is not a single, cataclysmic event. You don’t fail overnight. Instead, failure is a few errors in judgment, repeated every day.”
Many a time it’s not the structural or procedural stagnation that inhibits us from progressing further in our career, business, or life but understanding of the grim realities of our situations and the guidance of the experienced. Wisdom Is precious and timeless thus these words of wisdom can be revisited any number of times. These can be treated both as signboards and light posts that both show the path and illuminate it.